Follow Me

Follow Me on and

Monday, July 28, 2014

Faux Vegan

I usually pack breakfast and lunch for work.  Usually, I'm pretty good about it but when I get busy I fail to do so.  I’ve been doing it for a while now and I’m telling you, my bank account thanks me.  I hadn't been to the grocery store lately so when I got up 7 days ago I had no clue what I would eat for the day.  I grabbed a container of Greek yogurt and headed out the door.  Somewhere between the ride to work and before lunch, I decided I wouldn't eat any meat that day.  I don’t know why I did it, but I announced to my coworkers that i wasn't eating any meat for a few days.

I’d say for 5 days out of the week I eat pretty healthy.  I tend to snack on chocolate chip cookies but mainly I’m a healthy eater (don’t judge me).   Almost every weekend since my birthday in May, I have been on the road on the weekends.  It’s hard to try and eat the way I normally do when I’m travelling.  It seems like something is always going on and food is almost always involved.  Why spend money when I can get a free home-cooked meal? Picture fried porkchops smothered in gravy, stringbeans cooked with ham hocks, my aunt’s famous Mac n cheese, or some fried chicken gizzards. (im country, yes) My excuse: “I don’t eat like this at home”.

I noticed that I was starting to get very tired again.  I was coming home taking naps for 90 minutes, trying to work out and feeling very fatigued, catching cramps, feeling bloated, etc.  I knew it was because my schedule was off.  Sometimes I wouldn’t make it to the store during the week and I would just grab something on the go, still trying to be as healthy as possible.  Once I decided I wouldn’t eat any meat for a few days, I really wanted to submerge myself into the vegan lifestyle for a few days.    I went to the nutritionist at my job a few months ago (FREE btw) and was given certain goals on how much protein, carbs, fat, and calories I should eat every day.  It’s not a diet but I began to understand how to eat.  She told me that I’m a very good eater but by looking at my goals every day I will know HOW to eat.  And yes, it’s been working when I actually follow it.  But this post isn’t about weight loss or dieting. 


I want to let you guys know the difference I have felt in these last 7 days since I have removed ALL meats from my diet.  I have not craved any meats and no I haven't been on the scale.  Like I said, my reasoning for this initially had nothing to do with weight loss.  (but hey, if it comes, I'm not one to Block the blessings of the Lord).  The first few days were difficult because I could only think of eating bread and pasta to fill me up.  That satisfied my carbs but I had to think about protein.  I went to a wedding, the bar, and a comedy show this past weekend and was able to successfully stick to my plan.  Day 6 was probably the 1st day that I had a well balanced day of eating.  I went grocery shopping Sunday and bought veggie and black bean burgers and meatless chicken strips, for protein. I got my normal stuff, veggies, fruit, greek yogurt, almond milk, high fiber/protein cereal, eggs, etc.  I went to Zumba Monday night as well.  I hadn't worked out in a week so I dreaded going.  This aint your average Zumba class.  If you don’t believe me, hit me up on a Monday or Thursday night and I’ll prove it to you.  Surprisingly,  I was very energized.  I usually catch a meannnnnnn cramp across my stomach whenever I do an intense workout but I didn’t feel a thing tonight.  I was up at 4:30am that morning so I was anticipating a nap when I got home but I didn’t need it.  For dinner, I made the faux chicken strips and they shocked the hell out of me.  They were pretty darn good.  They taste just like chicken from the Chinese restaurants. (no offense).  I don’t feel as bloated as I have been and my energy has been up.  My digestive system is still getting used to my new diet but overall, I feel the changes.  For now, I will keep this up as long as I can.  I’m not trying to be inducted into the Vegan society but for now I will reap the benefits and update you all.   I've learned that to be Vegan actually means you don't consume or buy any products that are animal derived.  Sorry I cant give up eggs and my makeup so you see why i consider myself a "faux" Vegan.  There are entirely too many distinctions about vegetarians and I, for one, AM NOT HERE FOR THAT lol.  I am very proud of myself because I am treating this experience as an exercise to build discipline.  I wonder if I’m only noticing a difference b/c of the anticipation or am I really feeling a change.  Please feel free to give me food suggestions or leave any comments or questions.  


Here's the stir fry I made last night using the meat-less chicken strips:



1 comment:

  1. I think you are doing a great job, you and only You knows your body and not eating meat makes you feel good then keep on doing it

    ReplyDelete

Be Nice!